As a public school within the Metropolitan Nashville Public Schools district (MNPS), MNPS Virtual School is an optional school and open to all Davidson County residents. Students may enroll full-time and even graduate from our school. Additionally, learners can attend on a part-time basis taking between one (1) and three (3) courses. Full-time applications are accepted in both the Fall and Spring with application materials submitted on our website. Part-time applicants’ complete enrollment information at the school of primary enrollment via their designated school counselor.
Before enrolling on a full-time basis, students and parents should consider whether online learning best serves the learner’s educational needs. Virtual School is modeled after the collegiate style of online learning and delivered primarily in an asynchronous format. Please note that courses are not synchronous with “live” interaction between students and teachers. Courses are constructed around “modules and lessons” allowing students to work independently and advance at their own pace—with the support and help of a highly qualified, certified, teacher. Also note that course content cannot be modified, and students are expected to complete all course content and lessons. The following eligibility requirements apply for full-time student applicants:
Full-Time Eligibility Requirements
(1) The applicant demonstrates the ability to successfully work independently, at a distance, and without direct supervision.
(2) The applicant has a 2.0 grade point average (GPA), at the high school level. At the middle school level, the applicant has an overall “C” average in all courses.
(3) The applicant scores, at minimum, “proficient” on the previous year’s state-mandated assessment in English Language Arts. If no assessment is available, the applicant demonstrates “proficiency” in English Language Arts by taking and submitting the results of a Nationally-Normed Referenced Test (NNRT). The NNRT is completed privately and at the applicant’s and/or parent’s expense.
(4) The applicant scores, at minimum, “proficient” on the previous year’s state-mandated assessment in Mathematics. If no assessment is available, the applicant demonstrates “proficiency” in Mathematics by taking and submitting the results of a Nationally-Normed Referenced Test (NNRT). The NNRT is completed privately and at the applicant’s and/or parent’s expense.
(5) The applicant has no more than 10 unexcused absences during the previous semester.
(6) The applicant is on-pace to graduate, with the designated graduation cohort, in 4 years and a summer.
(7) The applicant receives no more than 5 hours of direct educational services or support from the current school of enrollment.
(8) The applicant completes all mandatory new student induction activities required by Virtual School.
Based on availability, non-Davidson County, Tennessee, residents may also attend MNPS Virtual School on a full-time or part-time basis. Note that full-time out-of-county applicants are required to meet all eligibility requirements. Out-of-county students enrolling on a part-time basis are required to pay per half credit taken. If you have any additional questions regarding our eligibility requirements or enrollment options, please contact us directly at (615) 463-0188.